Grant Writing Blog

I am a wife and mother of two, an 8-yr-old who loves airplanes and is learning to fly using a flight simulator and a 5-yr-old girl who can't wait to grow up. I have been in an academic environment all my life. After college, I taught English at a high school in Brownsville, Tx (my hometown) and stayed "in the trenches" for 8 years. In 2002, I moved to TSTC, Harlingen. I teach Comp and Tech Writing. My interest is researching strategies which help students be successful in first-year classes.

My Photo
Name:

I have been in the classroom, in one way or another, all my life. After 6 years of only being a teacher, I realized I miss the other side of the classroom. Because I have two young children and cannot take the joy of an extended family from them, I chose to pursue my degree online.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Overcoming the Distance...


Even though distance education is gaining popularity, many instructors shun teaching these courses because they fear losing the relationships they can establish with students by just walking in the same door.

That concern is real not only for the instructor but also for the student. My greatest concern about taking a distance education class was losing the opportunity to build rapport with my peers and professor. Using technology to build a relationship with someone is difficult and time-consuming. I have tried using WebCt and email to communicate with my students, but have found that contact via technology cannot replace knowing how a person looks and sounds.

As a student, I am relieved to find that the methodologies used in this course address those concerns. As a teacher, I am absorbing all these new ways (at least, to me) of making contact.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

I agree--many teachers shun DE environments because they believe that they can't establish relationships. First, I don't think that's true. There is more "distance" between a lecturer and student, oftentimes, then there are in DE environments. Second, these relationships are not always healthy. They're based on power structures and brown-nosing, oftentimes, rather than content areas. Yet still, there's something about knowing to whom you are speaking, and picture and sound helps toward that end. Thanks.

Let's talk more about the tools your teachers use or ways in which the tools we use are helpful or problematic. Thanks, Janie.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home