Grant Writing Blog

I am a wife and mother of two, an 8-yr-old who loves airplanes and is learning to fly using a flight simulator and a 5-yr-old girl who can't wait to grow up. I have been in an academic environment all my life. After college, I taught English at a high school in Brownsville, Tx (my hometown) and stayed "in the trenches" for 8 years. In 2002, I moved to TSTC, Harlingen. I teach Comp and Tech Writing. My interest is researching strategies which help students be successful in first-year classes.

My Photo
Name:

I have been in the classroom, in one way or another, all my life. After 6 years of only being a teacher, I realized I miss the other side of the classroom. Because I have two young children and cannot take the joy of an extended family from them, I chose to pursue my degree online.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Week 3

Think about the problem you're going to try to solve with a successful grant proposal, and the organization you want to write for.

What are types of restrictions on RFPs that you want to steer away from?

Restrictions which I will be on the lookout for will be:

1. any grant which specifies that the funding is solely for K-12;
2. any seed money;
3. any restricted to cash matches;
4. eligibility restrictions, such as phd required.

Also, what are some key strategies to avoiding getting your app tossed into the "not a chance" file right off the top?

I certainly will want to research projects which have been funded in the last two or three years to make sure that mine does not sound like it is duplicating the work that someone else is already doing. If it is similar, then I have to find a way to make it sound different; perhaps concentrate on the population who will benefit from the grant so that it sounds like a different project.

I need to think of the project and the impact it will have beyond the scope of my institution. If I want to work on something having to do with Hispanic students then it must be clear that Hispanic students all over the country can benefit and not only the students at this campus.

I also would make sure that we meet all the eligibility requirements.

I need to research the appropriate focus of the organization and the terminology they use to discuss their interests. This will help to show them that my project will help meet their objectives.

I will have to focus my writing so that it is direct and concise. I have to be careful not to use language which is ornate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Janie--Can you set your blog to display with comments? Easier for me when responding. Thanks. Meanwhile, with this entry, nice thinking!

I think the first restriction should be location. That should week out a lot there. Next is avoid only K12, like you say. Pete had a good slide in his presentation last week about seed money vs. sustainable project money.

What project ideas are you leaning toward now? I've enjoyed thinking through a few ideas with you through your study guide notes.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home