Grant Writing Blog

I am a wife and mother of two, an 8-yr-old who loves airplanes and is learning to fly using a flight simulator and a 5-yr-old girl who can't wait to grow up. I have been in an academic environment all my life. After college, I taught English at a high school in Brownsville, Tx (my hometown) and stayed "in the trenches" for 8 years. In 2002, I moved to TSTC, Harlingen. I teach Comp and Tech Writing. My interest is researching strategies which help students be successful in first-year classes.

My Photo
Name:

I have been in the classroom, in one way or another, all my life. After 6 years of only being a teacher, I realized I miss the other side of the classroom. Because I have two young children and cannot take the joy of an extended family from them, I chose to pursue my degree online.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Week 5

Detail your two projects. Be specific as to the problem, the solution, and if/once funded who will carry out the solution. This information will be helpful to you as you work to prepare your preproposal memo. Please try to prepare the memo and send it to me before class so that we can review it during class.

Problem
My first project deals with the problem of educational access and limited time. Students do not have the time to seek tutoring when it is offered, mainly during the day. The tutoring schedule is heavily dependent on when students (both those offering the tutoring and those receiving it) can be on campus. Tutoring is offered sporadically during day and very few hours at night or on the weekend.

Many of our students work full-time and have families so their time during the day is very limited. When they do have time to do homework or to seek tutoring, at night or on the weekend, the college does not provide any help for them.

Solution
The solution is to design an online tutoring lab which would fit the needs of our students. A detailed list of what tutoring services students need would need to be determined. Also, the lab would need to be designed to use new technology and implement that technology the most effective way possible to reach the most number of students.

Project Director
The project director would be the person in charge of tutoring.

Problem
The activities which support the curriculum offered to students is many times not relevant in their lives. The students are asked hypothetical questions and are required to create hypothetical solutions. Many students become disengaged when they see that their learning is based on what they consider "meaningless tasks." Also, many community organizations need services which they are not able to afford.

Solution
Service Learning is a solution to both those problems. Instructors need to coordinate with community organizations which would benefit from the type of projects which students are doing and students can see that what they learn and what they produce as a result of that learning impacts their community.

Project Director
I would be in charge of this project. I am intersted in involving the academics division in service learning and I, along with two instructors in other departments, would carry out this project.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Perhaps offer the development of an asynchronous online writing lab (with FAQs developed by instructors).

OR

The development of a synchronous support tool with paid tutors.

OR

Money to pay for a service like SmarThinking with the idea that you'll learn from their tool as a model for your own.

OR

Perhaps the development of a writing center for students who are advanced writers--this would be a sort of internship program for them.

I've been exploring sound and video. Might be useful to create a media component, for instance, where students submit papers, submit questions they'd like answered, and someone comes back with audio and/or video in addition to text. A mini-tutorial of sorts.

I'll email you a similar grant a wrote, unsuccessfully, a number of years ago.

Excellent project, Janie.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home