Grant Writing Blog

I am a wife and mother of two, an 8-yr-old who loves airplanes and is learning to fly using a flight simulator and a 5-yr-old girl who can't wait to grow up. I have been in an academic environment all my life. After college, I taught English at a high school in Brownsville, Tx (my hometown) and stayed "in the trenches" for 8 years. In 2002, I moved to TSTC, Harlingen. I teach Comp and Tech Writing. My interest is researching strategies which help students be successful in first-year classes.

My Photo
Name:

I have been in the classroom, in one way or another, all my life. After 6 years of only being a teacher, I realized I miss the other side of the classroom. Because I have two young children and cannot take the joy of an extended family from them, I chose to pursue my degree online.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Week 12

What is one proposal one of your task force group members is working on? Describe it in a few sentences, and then point out one strength so far of what you seen and one thing that can be improved upon. You might include a hyperlink to your peer's specific proposal or pre-proposal.

Erin is working on a proposal to get a new baseball field for the city in which she lives.

The strengths I see include the presentation of the growth of the city as evidence for the need of the field and the support from the city for this new field evidenced by the in-kind contribution of labor.

The logic used to argue for the need for the field is that the current groups will need the field as they age and continue to play. What you might consider including is that as the population increases so will the need for more playing territory. If the current population has four teams and the city grows by the same percentage, then x number of teams will be needed. So it is not only that those who are currently playing will want to continue playing, but that there will be more youths who will want to play.

It also might be interesting to research why some of the older groups only have one team. Does that have to do with the space?

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Good advice to Erin here, Janie. I think your notes involving older groups using the space, too, has a lot of merit.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home