Grant Writing Blog

I am a wife and mother of two, an 8-yr-old who loves airplanes and is learning to fly using a flight simulator and a 5-yr-old girl who can't wait to grow up. I have been in an academic environment all my life. After college, I taught English at a high school in Brownsville, Tx (my hometown) and stayed "in the trenches" for 8 years. In 2002, I moved to TSTC, Harlingen. I teach Comp and Tech Writing. My interest is researching strategies which help students be successful in first-year classes.

My Photo
Name:

I have been in the classroom, in one way or another, all my life. After 6 years of only being a teacher, I realized I miss the other side of the classroom. Because I have two young children and cannot take the joy of an extended family from them, I chose to pursue my degree online.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Week 6

What are the key points in Chapter 7 as they relate to your grant writing projects?

The idea of strategic organizational communication is important for the two projects I have chosen. Because I am working to fund two projects for my institution, I must think about the Online Tutoring Lab project in terms which will make the project attractive to my supervisor and the college administrators. Because they will have to provide some support and some of the college’s resources will have to be used if the project is funded, then their support is crucial for the ultimate success of the project. I have to think about how to present the project so that the benefits to the college are clear (not only in the long term but in the short term). I know the first question in my VPs mind will be “Will this cost me money?” It has to be clear to him that not only will it not cost money (only available resources will be used), but it will bring in money in the long run by providing greater access and improving student success rates. Also, I have to go back to the goals of the college and make sure that I refer specifically to how this project will help meet those goals, especially the ones that deal with improving access and instructional services. I want to convince them that this project will solve at least one of their most pressing problems: the lack of services for distance education students.

Also, the idea of the proposal development team was very important to me. I have a hard time letting other people be responsible for a project which ultimately will reflect on me. I have to admit that I don’t have all the necessary knowledge and expertise to complete this grant proposal. Doing it on my own would require that I research certain areas like technology capabilities and enrollment statistics; it would be more effective to use the expertise of those who have that knowledge already. This section clarified for me the divisions of labor and what the responsibilities of each team member are. It is important to me to keep control of the direction/vision of the project. Also, as project leader I have some control of what areas I let people work on. I have to be careful to meet their needs for autonomy and creativity and allow them to participate in ways which will benefit the project.

The advance planning questions are also very beneficial. They not only point to different areas which I need to start considering, but the authors provide ideas for each section. For several I didn’t really know what they were referring to until I read the examples that they used. In many of those examples the answers fit my project; if the answers were not relevant, then it was easier for me to figure out how I would answer the question.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Where are you now, Janie, in your work with the tutoring lab? Also, as you're working to develop more service-related iniatives, I wonder if some of the people who help here could be people from the community. Or, I wonder if inter-institutional work could be done. If you're interested in contacting someone at TTU, for instance, contact kathleen.gillis@ttu.edu.

Might look up James Inman's work in online writing labs.

I think working the distance angle is a good one. Need to provide services for students at a distance, and that's a very good one. THink first about asynchronous or synchronous, or a combination of both.

One of the smartest labs, still, is WSU in Pullman, Washington. See http://owl.wsu.edu.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home