Grant Writing Blog

I am a wife and mother of two, an 8-yr-old who loves airplanes and is learning to fly using a flight simulator and a 5-yr-old girl who can't wait to grow up. I have been in an academic environment all my life. After college, I taught English at a high school in Brownsville, Tx (my hometown) and stayed "in the trenches" for 8 years. In 2002, I moved to TSTC, Harlingen. I teach Comp and Tech Writing. My interest is researching strategies which help students be successful in first-year classes.

My Photo
Name:

I have been in the classroom, in one way or another, all my life. After 6 years of only being a teacher, I realized I miss the other side of the classroom. Because I have two young children and cannot take the joy of an extended family from them, I chose to pursue my degree online.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Week 13

Have you recently visited one of the organizations for whom you are writing? If not, please do. Visiting the organization at this point may shake loose a fresh idea or new energy renewal to see the importance of your work. If there is no "organization," which is the case for some of you, visit with the person or a person or someone who you know with the "organization." What did you find?

Since I am part of the organization, I visit with people every day. One of my goals is to work with ways to get people interested in using technology, not only to get their administrative work done, but also for their teaching. We have several instructors who are very retiscent about using technology in their classroom. Since the chalkboard works, they don't think they need anything else.

I have worked on creating a set of macros which can be accessed through a toolbar to help writing instructors with the feedback they give to students on their papers. This toolbar will make it easier for them to comment in detail especially on those errors which students make all the time. The toolbar, though, requires that instructors demand that students turn in their work online. Since this is presented as a way to make their job easier, some of them will be interested. I presented this and received a very enthusiastic response. I hope this will move some individuals who were not very interested in technology to wanting to use those tools which make their work easier.

I think that this is the same type of resistance that the project director for the Writing SOS project will have. Most who see technology as an added burden must be made to see how it can make it easier for them (and it also helps the students) if they are to buy in to the project.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

I wonder if there's a way to encourage some of your peers there to join us in Lubbock for the Computers and Writing Conference. Is there a way to get the Dean to help fund folk's registration? Can't beat the dorm price for lodging, and if multiple people go a van could be rented and that's a long drive to talk about the program. Could be a life-changing event. This is something Texas Women's University is doing this year--van with 12 folk. Registration form is at http://richrice.com/cw/registration.pdf. What folk will find is that at first technology is an added burden, but then it both saves time and adds dynamics to teaching that are engaging to students, fostering learning. Perhaps colleagues could come to Lubbock with the expectation that they'd present their findings from the presentations they attended there in the Fall.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home