Grant Writing Blog

I am a wife and mother of two, an 8-yr-old who loves airplanes and is learning to fly using a flight simulator and a 5-yr-old girl who can't wait to grow up. I have been in an academic environment all my life. After college, I taught English at a high school in Brownsville, Tx (my hometown) and stayed "in the trenches" for 8 years. In 2002, I moved to TSTC, Harlingen. I teach Comp and Tech Writing. My interest is researching strategies which help students be successful in first-year classes.

My Photo
Name:

I have been in the classroom, in one way or another, all my life. After 6 years of only being a teacher, I realized I miss the other side of the classroom. Because I have two young children and cannot take the joy of an extended family from them, I chose to pursue my degree online.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Week 7

For your blog this week, I'd like you to read others' blogs. Find one direct quote that someone else has written that is particularly telling (perhaps over a post on Chapter 7), and write in your blog why it was useful to either/or that person or you.

"My first thing is to spend time with key people..."Erin

I have found that talking to people is key not only to establish support for the project but also to find out what other initiatives are going on in the college and who is involved in them.

For the online tutoring lab, I found that a person who I thought would be key is not really interested in working with the project. Even though I think that his position as Student Success Director ties in directly with the project, knowing that he is not interested has led me to some yet unanswered questions and to more conversations with other "key people."

Also, I learned that the student development department is also looking at how to offer support to students online. The goals of both projects are very similar.

So talking with people in the organization is key. I realize that as an academic instructor, I am very insolated and many times want to choose projects which will keep me that way.

These two projects have forced me to go out of my building.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

I agree--much of grant writing is aligning the project, which means aligning the people where necessary. It's a little challenging and problematic, as if you don't get the grant then there will be some dissappointment. There's an art to continue to build that momentum and use grant drafts with other RFPS if not successful the first, second, third times. That's one reason why I've asked you to find other RFPs. Definitely involve the student development department. Service learning is an excellent key term and primary focus of your project that others value.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home